Acoustic performance & Jam Session hosted by My Redneck Brother (Russ & Gary Martin)
"Jam Sessions" at the BLUEStage are a labor of love and a networking center for musicians. They are also a "cheap date" for folks to gather to hear 3 hrs of live music in both organized and spontaneous formats.
Our bar will always be open. Kitchen always open for major shows. For jam sessions, as we can find reliable staffing.
With our apologies, we are forced to raise spectator admittance to $10 and musician fees to $5. We are proud to have held the spectator fee to $5 since we opened in 1999.
Info for all Jam Sessions
Spectators, dancers and non-players pay a $10 cover for 3+ hours of live, spontaneous music, starting Feb 1st 2023.
Players, w/instruments, who sign in to play are charged $5 and called up in approximately sign in order, starting Mar 1st 2023.
- Everyone who signs in plays/sings. Whole bands are welcome but please call ahead (517-795-0609) to firm up a 15-30 min time slot, depending on # of jammers signed up.
- If you sing, BRING YOUR VOCAL MIC!!! Shure SM58's are preferred. We no longer supply vocal mics. We do supply most all instrument/amp mics and their placement.
Acoustic Jam Session particulars:
- Host band plays at 7:15-8 then jammers are called up. Host band closes with a 3-4 song set at 10:00ish. This will be pushed later as attendance increases.
- Most modern acoustic stringed instruments are equipped with a pickup to allow them to be amplified. As a side effect, many of them do not have a loud natural “voice” w/o amplification. We are equipped with a fair variety of microphones, direct boxes etc and can mic up almost anything. If you have a known system for your instrument, by all means bring your “rig” with you; cords, pedals, pre-amps etc. We would love to get to the real all acoustic scene but it may not be possible. Most likely scenario: from your instrument output cable to a direct box for impedance matching directly to the board and monitor will be adjustable for listening needs.
- Most keyboard players will use a portable unit. We have a 2 tier, Apex stand w/built in mic boom is on hand to save you carrying that piece. Again, keys output to mic line & monitor provided. The house keys rig is not available for use.
- Drums are behind plexi shield, drummers need to bring sticks-mallets-brushes to suit the music, brass, kick pedal, throne for comfort. Drumset will likely NOT be mic’d. Hand percussion, tambourines, maracas, bead jugs, cajon etc will be mic’d.
- Harmonicas will likely bring a small amp <20 watt and it will be mic’d if nec.
- Horns generally are plenty loud to work an acoustic set
- Upright bassist: if you have an onboard mic system or rig that gives you good results, bring it.